Sunday, September 16, 2018

The Gathering Darkness.

The equinox is just around the corner. Temps are still summerlike, but the days are definitely shorter. I've noticed, but just in case I haven't, to flock sure has.

The sudden shift has caused several girls to molt and even Coq Au has lost some of his proud tailfeathers to the seasonal change. Egg production is low.

In a fit of compassion, I've taken off my beard. My 'molt' will end quickly, and it has had zero effect on *my* egg production!

The break from full swing production is good for their aging bodies and the timing is completely in the control of the layers' union with no input from myself, upper management, nor Coq Au is regarded in the least.

Well, the feathers will grow back just in time for the cold weather to set in and egg production will go back up a little, but will still be more limited through the winter.

At their age, some hens will stop laying altogether. I hope this is not the case yet, as they are still young enough to keep going and some hens will lay at least a little for most of their lives. No matter. Laying or not, my flock is my flock and unlike folks that need to earn a living on such ventures, my 'retired' layers will continue to live out their natural lives with as much peace and comfort as I can supply.

The cycle of the year is heavy upon us, the cycle of life takes its slower course.

No comments:

Post a Comment