Sunday, October 21, 2018

Chasing Chickens and The Last Mow.

This time of year it's the dark of the morn' that the flock gets its treats. This morning they drifted out in the darkness as they sometimes do for their warm oatmeal and vegetable. This morning there was a left over slice of pizza for them to chaw on (a VERY rare treat, indeed, and certainly not something they should have with any frequency!)

This is the morning that I've decided to do my last mow of the season and also let the flock out for some mid autumn foraging.

They had been demanding more 'out' time and the lack thereof may have contributed to their early autumn egg strike.

Out into the yard they gratefully went and spread themselves liberally over the lawn in the early sunlight of a late October day.

Samhain is the last harvest, and dear reader, you may recall my last 'mowing' post where I made mention of having left some sections of grass to go to seed. My timing paid off well, the grass has dropped its seed, and the chickens were delighted to benefit for scratching around on their own late season harvest.

By now their quite 'use to' the sound of the mower and show no direct fear, so as I started with the edges, they kept right on pecking and scratching away to their great content. As I drifted ever inward, Coq Au began to become concerned and led the bulk of the flock to the front and safer environs of the knotweed.

Hermione, Myrtle, and Petunia were completely at ease right where they were, thank you very much, and stayed in the general area of my mowing. Following their hearts delight, they drifted over to the neighbor's yard and not wanting to interrupt my own task, I was obliged to push that mower in their general direction. I can't recall herding chickens with the mower before, but it turns out that it works.

As the mower drew nearer with its roaring engine, Petunia and Myrtle began to scurry away while the unflappable Hermione defiantly stood her ground. A few mere feet before I was becoming concerned that she might let me bump into her with mower, if I were inclined to do so but of course would do no such thing, she finally took the hint and with waddling gait that make her appear like she's wearing feathery bloomers, she joined Petunia and Myrtle. Coq Au emerged from the knot weed to scold the strays and collect them back to the safety of the rest of the flock.

A few tasks, hook up the heat lamp, and my autumn chores will be done for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment