Thursday, September 28, 2017

No Pictures of Lily.

No Pictures of Lily.

I've been trying to get a nice picture of Lily (of the valley). She's a very sweet hen and a little shy. More than any of the others she is turning into a little 'daddy's girl'.

When the flock is out in the yard, and I'm puttering about, she follows me everywhere. Sometimes I give her treats just for her, sometimes not. But when I turn and she's there, she patiently allows me to stoop down a bit and give her some gentle pets.

Thus far I've failed to get a nice picture owing to the fact that when I'm out, I seldom have my phone on me. When I am interacting with Lily, I even more seldom wish to interrupt our time by stopping to take a photo. At any rate, with my poor picture taking skills, I doubt the photo would look like anything more than 'just another picture of a little black hen'.

Old married couples like my wife and I develop cute, funny, romantic things together that are 'no big deal', but are part of the language of love. One of these things for herself and I is that in the evenings, I'll read to her. No big deal ... just some evenings we'll sit at the kitchen table to unwind and I'll read out loud to her. When she was small, no one really had the time to read bedtime stories to her. I can't go back in time for her, nor would I want to, but I darn well can read to her now.

One day, as I was reading, the kitchen window was open. During a pause in the story, we heard a small coo and slowly peeked out. Lily was all by herself, right outside the window. She was riveted by every word in the story and completely happy to sit and listen while the other girls were off foraging to their heart's content. She's NOT going to be getting her own 'story time', but she is more than welcome to sit and listen, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment