Thursday, February 9, 2017

A Brief Interlude.

A brief interlude.

Can you believe it? This is my first post about what is going on 'today'. I still have a lot of back story to catch you all up on, and trust me, there is an epic story arc to come just on one topic ...

But today is a rare and wonderful snow day!

As I've stated before, my flock are black australorps and I chose them because of their hardiness to various weather conditions. They're good down to zero degrees without worry. Their favorite weather conditions, truth be told, is a cloudy day in the 40s with little to no wind.

But snow is right out!

Yesterday, in preparation for the snow, most folks in NJ went into their usual pre-storm panic of picking up more bread, eggs, and milk than a reasonable person could eat. In fact, herself and I have all of that anyway, so the only essentials I needed to pick up were smokes and booze. Being home on time and without issue, I made sure the flock's feed was topped off and their water clean. Considering the 6-12 inches we were expecting in the early morning hours, I wanted them to be prepared to be shut in the coop for the day.

Up early this morning, I trudged out to bring them hot breakfast and their union rep issued a formal complaint about not being let out into the run. I had no time for their worries so I told them that their complaint would be filed for upper management to consider later. After a check on the roads, I went back inside and called out from work.

The bulk snow ended sometime around noon and I set to the task of shoveling (an activity that I find about as endearing as mowing). First, I started the cars to let them warm up a bit for snow clearing, then shoveled a bit into the chicken run. With a little bit of a patch cleared, I opened the wee door to the coop. A little head peaked out. It was Hortense. She more than any other cherishes her 'me' time and was probably itching to get out on her own. She peaked around, look at the horrible white death surrounding the outside and said 'nope'. Another head, another 'nope' and I was off to clear cars and shovel the driveway. At some point, Coq Au herded the lil flock outside. They stood in the mud briefly, danced around on the snow momentarily, then issued their collective 'nope' and all went back inside. Coq Au shrugged, and followed them.

Heavy rain? No problem ... they hunker down outside UNDER the coop. Hot sunny day? No problem, they bask in the shade taking their dirt baths. High wind? No problem, they huddle together outside in one mass.

Snow is 'nope'.

No comments:

Post a Comment