Friday, February 3, 2017

A Fateful Day.

A Fateful Day

I work an office job. Long hours, very busy, fairly stressful, and find each moment away from my desk doing physical things like fixing the forklift (I have no real idea how to fix a forklift!), moving product around, coordinating things with one department or another … but mostly at a desk glued to a phone and computer. Often with no time even to take a lunch, my wife understands that I really can’t take social calls. So when she does have occasion to call me at work, it is pretty damn important and I always take her call!

So it was on a day late in September. The weather was perfect and she was to spend the day in the yard harvesting what was left in the garden, preparing the ground for next season, and obsessing over our little flock.

The call came late in the morning and I could tell right away something was wrong. She collected herself and told me that Coq Au attacked her. We hand raised this baby. He takes food out of our hand with the most gentle care. I couldn’t believe it. I talked her down and told her she must’ve been mistaken. She tried to tell me how he was all a flurry of feathers and talons, but I just couldn’t see it.

Roosters have a reputation. They can be nasty. Some breeds worse that others and one of the deciding factors for us against Rhode Island Reds was their aggressive reputation. We had read plenty of stories on the fancy chicken blogs of roosters who were sweet as pie and even liked to perch on their owners’ laps. But we had also read the tales of sweet roosters gone bad as soon as they hit an age where their testosterone was in full swing. Guess which one we ended up with?

When I got home, before going in the house I stopped by the flock and had a close look. Everyone seemed normal, including Coq Au. They all gathered around and I presented some meal worms. While they were munching, and I had their attention a bit, I asked them what happened, but they hushed up and wouldn’t own up to a thing. I went to our front door, sighed deeply, and walked in. My poor wife was sitting their brooding. Her face dark, and I knew this had to be more than mere dramatics. She gave me the gory details. She was completely unhurt, but so unnerved by the situation that it shattered her idyllic vision of owning chickens and having livestock.

I’m a little more pragmatic in such areas, I like to think, and figured a rooster is a rooster and just needs to get out a little aggression once in a while and as soon as he learns who the boss is, there would be little trouble. She and I also talked over the minutia and I mused over factors like her floppy gardening hat … maybe he didn’t recognize her, or the hat was casting a shadow that caused him to fear there was a threat. I went over all of these things and as the days passed, she tried again and again to enjoy the flock.

But he kept it up. Not every day. Not every encounter. But randomly and with alarmingly increasing frequency. Then came the day he came after me.

I was out in the yard with the flock foraging. It wasn’t a total surprise, with the disturbing reports from my wife, I was keeping a bit of an eye out. But he looked at me. I spied him looking at me and I looked at him. We looked at each other and I could see the moment when he decided that the flock was his, and his alone. I saw the moment when he decided he could ‘take’ me. He reared just a bit. His cowl expanded in a showy display, and then IT WAS ON!

Quick as a wink it as feathers and talons and he was determined to do bodily harm to my person. I quickly recovered my wits and let fly with a booted kick. I missed. The bastard ducked. He came low. But try as he might, he just wasn’t able to penetrate the armor of my blue jeans. Another kick. I connected with him … a glancing blow to the chest. He was completely undaunted and lunged again. A few more feints, another swing and a miss on my part and then my kick landed squarely home. Right on his well-muscled breast bone. Drove him back a foot or so.

Now, it is very important to remember that I was not trying to hurt him. At no point in my life will I ever intentionally cause harm to an animal. I was placing my kicks as carefully as possible to land on his breast area … where he has the most muscle and where two fighting roosters would be connecting with each other. The force of my kicks was tempered, although solid, designed to be firm enough to send a message, but not the kind of force to punt him into next week.

The second thing to remember is that a determined rooster can ignore a well-placed kick that drives him back a foot or so and he will require a second, third, or possibly more until he feels he can not achieve the better of the battle.

That day, Coq Au required two well-placed kicks (and a few glancing blows) until he walked off. He did turn his head briefly and say to me “okay … I’ll LET you be in the same yard as me. FOR NOW!”

With that, my wife as completely vindicated and it became clear, even to my thick mind, that Coq Au Vin was determined to do mischief. Now, and likely for a time to come.

I knew this is what a rooster could become going into the whole affair. I was hoping against hope that he would turn out to be one of the ‘sweet’ ones, but I also knew a rooster is to be a rooster. Evolution made him who he is and it was now time to figure out what to do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment