Thursday, June 8, 2017

The Curse of the Blue Poo.

The Curse of the Blue Poo.

Every season my ancient mulberry tree bears fruit. I can not tell you how happy I am to have an abundance of fresh berries right in my backyard. They are good to put on your cereal, stir into some yogurt, dress up your pancake batter or what have you.

There are far too many on this old tree for my wife and I to eat. Our neighbor comes and picks her fill as well, and I am sure the squirrels get a share. We don't pick up the ones from the ground, however. Those belong to the flock.

Here they are enjoying the first day that some of the ripe berries have begun to fall.



And thus begins the curse of the blue poo! For three days they will gorge themselves on mulberries. And oh how the poo turns a dark blue.

For three days after that they will lazily eat more mulberries while out foraging and scratching for bugs.

After that, they won't touch a mulberry, even if offered from my own hand, until next year and finally, the curse of the blue poo passes for another year.

And thus, we mark the changing of the seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment