Thursday, April 26, 2018

ALSO Not My Cat.

A momentary lapse in chicken narrative.

 Sunday I made mention that herself and I were helping kinfolk move. Although the move was successful and not traumatic and under good circumstances, their cat could not go along. Rather than adopting out the cat to strangers, herself and I have taken the cat in hopes that one day, the cat could be recovered, but IF NOT, we know she has a safe, loving home with us.

I am a 'cat' person. I love dogs too. Actually, I love all manner of critters great and small, but I am a 'cat' person. I understand cats on a professional level. Most of all, I understand that no matter how much you love your cat, no matter how much you *think* your cat loves you ... I know I my heart of hearts that if it were big enough, it would kill you in your sleep.

By their very nature, cats are douche bags. Perhaps that is why I love and understand them so much.

So, Moonkie and Osha, who through years of tribulation had come to an understanding of armed neutrality with one another, now have to share their space with yet another cat.

Tulip has a sweet innocent plaintive, sometimes mournful, little meow. And it is a lie! She is a loving cat to be sure, but knows damn well how to use that sweet little meow for manipulation. My wife and I feared that poor sweet little Tulip would be beset upon by two angry beasties, but as it turns out, she can stand her ground just fine. She can lay down the new law just fine.

Well, it isn't as bad as all that. There are some political discussions involving a bit of hissing and occasional growl and only a warning swat or two. Mostly, they all understand the new way of things and everyone retreats bravely to neutral areas before things get too intense. It has been a few days and things are smoothing out nicely, if slowly.

We were hoping that Tulip and Ruby (our pig) might become fast friends considering their natures and the political structure between the other cats, but as it turns out, Ruby could give a fig about the whole affair. I suspect Osha, by her curious and friendly attitude, will be the first to break ranks and welcome the new addition when the time is right. "Cat time" could be a few days, or a few months. Not often anything in between, but so long as everyone is healthy, happy, getting food, and getting rest, the politics will sort themselves out in the fullness of time.

As a side note, Osha likes to perch by the open kitchen window. Whether it be a lovers' quarrel between her and her beau (still Not My Cat) or a round of "Live kitty TV" when the birds are out, that sill is hers. Moonkie will bully her out of the window from time to time just because she can, but when Tulip tried it this morning, wee Osha stood her ground and said emphatically "Aw, HELL naw!" And Tulip slinked away to leave Osha to her own pleasure. Moonkie merely stared in a nonplussed sort of way.

3 comments:

  1. Cats are very social creatures, and they will figure out a pecking order. Years ago I fed about 20 stray cats in New Brunswick, NJ. One older female was always allowed to eat first, and the rest took turns. It will all work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, indeed yes! So long as everyone has space to retreat to, everyone gets to eat, and there is no bloodshed, cats are very good at sorting out their own world! Sometimes they're monkey-slaves (we humans) think we know better, but we don't ;)

      Delete
    2. Their* monkey-slaves.

      bad grammar courtesy of fat fingers, old tablet, lack of coffee, and my own stupidity :)

      Delete