Monday, May 28, 2018

Coop Cleaning Day!

We use a modified 'deep litter' method and give the coop a full clean out in the spring and in the fall. The worst of the poop is taken out and new layers of straw added through out the season, but a full cleaning is  much more thorough.

I use straw as the primary bedding and a mix of wood chips and straw in the meeting boxes. I had heard of all manner of types of bedding to use and have tried more than a few over the years. After several seasons of careful experimenting and observation I have decided that straw works the best. Practical, cheap, and breaks down really well in a deep litter method. For the meeting boxes, the wood chips still make a more comfortable nest, but the girls - as they are 'redecoratig' - tend to kick out a lot of it, so a mix of straw and wood chips locks it in nicely.

No matter how many years go by, no matter how much I should 'know better', I always end up doing a clean out at mid morning. Just when the flock is wanting to lay. Sure, they love being out and about while I am shoveling out the old bedding, but through the whole process concerned hens stop by and peek there heads in. Invariably, they give me that low, slow chicken 'oooohhhhh' which in this case translates to "Ain't ya done yet?"

"Not yet, honey, you'll have to hold it for just a little longer."

As I puttered about putting out new feed (in the backyard for now), wheeling out a couple of loads of old bedding for compost, and washing out the water fonts, Coq Au, now thoroughly rested from the long winter, had a go at me!

As tame as he's been, lo these last many months, I knew he would be looking for trouble eventually and I've learned never to fully turn my back on him. So, as I passed, he thought he saw an opportunity and rushed me. Just like his old self ... I'm strangely proud!

I spotted his coming onslaught just in tie and turned to face him. He was just bring his feathers to fluff and about to issue his customary "Have at you!" When he skidded to a stop. He glared. A made to poke him with my finger.

"Hey tough guy ... What'cha got?" My pokes never landed on him, he sprightly stepped back with each one, but I taunted just a bit further. "C'mon, tough guy ... Don't you want some?"

He relented, but was not broken nor beaten.

"Okay, bud. You caught me coming. But you just watch your back!"

His threat is not without merit. One day he will catch me sleeping, I know.

Meanwhile, the long awaited clean out is done. Healthy and happy chickens have a healthy happy home.

In other news, I took a short drive early this morning and right on my corner was a mamma deer and spotted baby. This is not a strange scene around here, but I could tell that this baby was JUST BORN at dawn and was still on VERY unsteady legs. Mamma was encouraging it to cross the street and I stopped my car. Once across, I proceeded with caution and as I passed, the new fawn, sensing my car might be a monster, crouched flat into the neighbor's tall grass. Another car was behind me, also moving very cautiously, but mamma deer, fearing for her baby, strode out RIGHT in front of the other car to distract the monster from seeing her baby. She offered herself as a willing sacrifice for the protection of her newborn. Thankfully, my fellow motorist was as alert and cautious as I was and had already stopped and patiently waited for mamma to assess the danger, turn aroud, and collect her fawn.

Witnessing these things are gifts. They are small everyday miracles that I truly treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment