Sunday, May 20, 2018

The Big World

There is a big, big world out there. I am in it, I peek my head out as often as I need to. I work my job, pay my bills, and pay attention to the events of the world.

But I don't often blog about it.

This blog is part of my escape from it and I don't post about it. Sometimes I'll make a passing reference. With the trials, tribulations, and tragedies, talking about the simple things makes me happy and there is nothing more simple than my small world that I enjoy very much. I also enjoy sharing it with you and I hope you enjoy reading about it.

Today I'm going to break that rule very briefly.

Yesterday morning I tuned into the royal wedding. I normally don't have a strong opinion on the doings of the British monarchy. After all, as an American, why should I care? We fought a whole war with England so that I don't care to care about what the royals do. And yet, this is only the second time in history that an American would be joining the royal family ... so why not check it out?

On social media I saw folks posting about it. Some in favor of the pageantry and spectacle, and some expressing the common American opining of "Who the heck cares? With so much going on in the world, why focus so much media attention on this?"

I caught the opinion of a friend that really stuck with me. This royal match, this wedding ceremony, seemed full of the usual strict and constrained ceremony that is the usual fare with royal affairs, but there was also love. There truly seems to be deep love between the happy couple and that pleases me very much. My friend commented on those who grouse about the coverage "What's wrong with watching love for a change?" I couldn't agree more.

So, I watched the ceremony. It was on in the background as I did some light cleaning in the kitchen and surfed the interwebs. I was well pleased by all of the details and love reigned over all.

Best wishes to the happy couple!

In other news, nature hates a vacuum. And so does my pig. Don't worry though. She may scramble under the kitchen table whenever I vacuum the living room, but afterwards, her shattered nerves are always rewarded with a nice apple. She loves apples, so love reigns here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment