Sunday, May 21, 2017

Epilogue: Meet The Old Boss.


Epilogue: Meet The Old Boss

Floki was now no more.

Through the peaks and valleys of the whole experience, my mind had been troubled over Coq Au. With his fighting spirit beaten out of him, and him prostrating himself before us for care and protection through the worst of his persecution, would he be a capable leader once again?

He needed to be strong for his flock. I needed him to be strong for his flock.

By the next day he was strutting around with the girls once again, cooing to them to offer treats and rounding up hens when they went astray.

Perhaps he would be a fine leader once again. Perhaps, now that he had been truly humbled, and came directly to my wife and me for protection to the point where he would meekly sit on our laps in his desperation, a new Coq Au Vin would emerge from the ashes of the old … a proverbial phoenix imbued with a new found sense of enlightenment and gratitude towards us and his position in the household hierarchy.

Three days later … he attacked me.

Strangely, I took some measure of comfort in it as it meant he was fully his old self once again. I hated having to give him the boot, but since he had asked to be booted so enthusiastically, I obliged and smiled gently with pride.

Haec Fabula Finitur Duos Gallos.

No comments:

Post a Comment