Thursday, December 14, 2017

Embargo Lifted.

Matilda passed on suddenly back in September as you have read.

That triggered a molt. Two troublesome young roosters were also underfoot. The dark days also descended upon us.

From September until now we had been getting but one to two eggs a day.

I fretted over it. Most of the girls are older. The molt passed and still no eggs. The young roosters left for their new homes and still no eggs.

Pleased to announce that we are back up to three to four eggs a day which would be more normal for older layers at this time of year. In any case, if they never laid again they would still have a home with me, my original girls, for as long as they lived.

Never the less, they are bestowing their bounty upon us once again. Special kudos to my younger girls Lily and Petunia for crossing the picket lines lo these past few months and keeping at least a few eggs coming in.

I am grateful that the hens, even with the season of ice upon us, are happy once again and returning to laying their eggs.

Come Saturday, it will be treats for the whole flock!

In other news, I walked out onto the snowy porch this morning before the sunrise to clear off the cars and make ready to go to work. Not My Cat greeted me in the darkness with a plaintiff, yet cheerful cry for attention. This cat is well fed, well groomed, and obviously NOT a stray. Who on EARTH would let their cat out on a frigid snowy night?

No matter, his pleas did not fall on a heart of stone and I made sure he had some food as well.

Warm breakfast for the flock, a little food for the handsome stranger ... who is not my cat ... and off to work I went.

My heart yearns for the solstice and the promise of the returning sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment