Sunday, December 3, 2017

The Birds of Winter.

With the season of darkness in full swing, I miss seeing my flock! I am up before the sun and have just enough time to feed them breakfast treats before the gathering dawn and then off to work. It is only a short moment in the darkness. By the time I am home, it is dark again and they are already abed.

Sometimes, I wonder if they miss me.

Thursday night, with some decent moonlight, I opened the coop and pulled out the empty feeder to refill it. Coq Au was on the roost fast asleep as were the girls. I took that sneaky opportunity to pet him briefly, my angry boy. He lifted his head in surprise and turned it this way and that, but being blinded by the darkness he could meaningfully respond. He couldn't have been too upset, he went back to sleep quickly.

Yesterday found skies that were clear of clouds and clear of hawks. I took a risk and let the flock out. Hortense went off by herself to her favorite dust bath spot. The rest of the flock hunkered down on the other side of the yard to enjoy their own sun and dust.

About two hours later, I heard a ruckus and flew outside. Skies were still clear, but the flock was hiding under a bush. Something spooked them and Coq Au lead them into cover. I took no chances and herded them into the run. Hortense was unaware, but Coq Au hesitated to go in knowing there was a girl missing.

"Coq Au, old man, you go on in, I know just where she is."

By the time I rounded the house, she was gone. She, hearing the ruckus, had wandered over to the spot where the flock as to see what was going on. Once located, I was inclined to scold her, but she's so sweet that I couldn't bring myself to do it. I herded her in as well and peace reigned once again.

I sure miss the tree cover, the longer days, and the warmer weather. Oh well, in about three weeks the solstice will be upon us and in about six weeks, the daylight will be back to where it is now but growing longer again rather than shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment