Sunday, September 9, 2018

Serving Size.

Last night I made a no carb dinner for herself and I. Ground turkey served in large tomatoes sliced open into "sixths". A little cheese, a lot of lettuce, blah blah blah, you get the idea.

The recipe called for four large tomatoes and a pound of chopped meat an noted that it "serves four". Well, diet or no, we're Americans, damn it, and we've never encountered a 'serving size' that is satisfying, so I made the four servings for the two of us.

Okay, one serving would not have satisfied us, but two servings each was well enough plus plenty left over.

So with us, nothing is wasted. The flock got the full benefit of a full serving's worth and maybe a half more. A lot of tomato, a little turkey, a little cheese, some nice lettuce and such. I wonder what the 'serving size' should be on a meal like this for chickens?

Also, as I've written about several times before, they get warm oatmeal with vegetables in the morning. Last several days I've been 'watering' the oatmeal with some leftover oxtail soup. No oxtail left in it, but plenty of broth with vegetables and a bit of meat fat. As the season gets cooler, a little extra fat is good to winterize them.

To be clear, the mainstay of their diet is their feed. These things are extra, sometimes, occasional treats. But nothing is wasted and it is to the benefit of the whole household.

Just watching the flock stumble over one another to pick at the treats to find the choicest bits is a simple pleasure that can not be described. To be able to create a home with all of the little elements of relaxation and pleasure goes a long way to make it a haven away from the stresses of the world.

Happy chickens, happy spouse happy household, makes happy me! I'm a simple man who adores my small place on this wide and wonderful world.  I love the life herself and I have built with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment