Sunday, September 2, 2018

The Harginger of Change

So this is Labor Day weekend in the states. Many folks take that as the end of summer and it is a big beach weekend for many to soak up the last summer rays. School is about to start again, folks going away for vacations draw down, and … of course … the ubiquitous "pumpkin-spice flavored everything" appears.

With temps next week threatening to be in the 90's, I tend to wait for the equinox as the 'end of summer'.

But yesterday morning, I went out to feed the flock their morning treats as usual and I heard the tell-tale "THWANK" of a falling acorn hitting my car.

Kinda early for these parts, I reckon. So, I went over to the spot and heard a few more of the softer "Shrasht" of another couple of acorn falling through the leaves and hitting the ground. I found one of the acorns. It was small and half eaten. They're not ripe yet, but some squirrel was tasting to the late summer fare, was displeased, and was contemptuously chucking away the remains.

Still, this is an early harbinger for me. Not even merely the acorns, but also the squirrels actively starting their quest to hoard and put in winter weight. This is a little early, so I fear it may also be a harbinger of hard winter.

Never the less, my thoughts turned to acorns! Been a couple of years since I had a decent harvest from my meagre two or three oaks, so while the rest of the east coast is dreaming of pumpkin spice everything, I am already thinking on acorn bread! If there is a decent harvest to be had, and if I can beat the squirrels to some choice nuts, I figure I can collect in earnest in about a week, or more likely two.

I think I've shared this recipe before, but just in case I haven't, here it is again:


Processing raw acorns is a task in itself … but an easy one. Perfect for those of us that fit into the "poor and bored" category of life. If anyone wants notes on how to do this, comment below.

Also, if you're wondering what acorn bread tastes like, it is similar to the texture of corn bread, but less 'sweet' and more of a mild nutty taste. Goes down great with a dab of butter and honey.

Additionally, acorns are one of the healthiest nuts there are. For the scientifically/nutritionally minded, here is a Wikipedia link to the specifics:

About acorns on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn

No comments:

Post a Comment