Thursday, November 2, 2017

Couldn't Care Less.

In the late fall evenings before the clocks change I still have just enough time to get home and see my flock before they go in for the night. I know in another week it'll be dark and they will be long abed before I've returned from work, so now is the time to give them treats when I can.

Gone are the long summer evenings where there is still enough light to let them out lf the run for a stretch, so they are penned up more than I'd like. Coq Au has practically become a regular gentleman who is disinclined to join battle with me and content to glare.

Marvin, on the other hand, is becoming a handful. He's still young, but he already tries to mount some of the girls, much to their loud protests. He doesn't dance. He doesn't offer treats. He grabs a girl and tries to get 'er done did. Thus far, as I can see, he has been unsuccessful. In fact, as young as he is, the older hens are quite capable to chide and chase him all on there own, and yet this puzzles me.

This evening, as I witnessed the reoccurring sight once again, I asked Coq Au about it.

"Coq Au, are you not going to respond to the ruckus that this young roo is causing?"

"Naw, dawg."

"What so you mean 'Naw, dawg'??? It's kind of yurt job to sort this out!"

"The hens are doing fine on their own ..' after the last roo, I'm not getting involved. This is YOUR problem, and I'm not gonna let you pass it down the chain to middle management."

"Oh, I see. Getting too old, are we?" I goaded him.

"Old? Watch this."

With that, he calmly strides into the midst of the flock pecking at treats and the two young roosters scatter brusquely to any place but where Coq Au is.

"You see that? That's called 'respect'. I'm not getting involved unless I have to. You should try that sometime."

"I should ... what???" His attitude, while not aggressive, per se, had me on the edge of apoplexy.

'You should try it sometime.' indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment