Monday, November 6, 2017

Going Home: The Brave Boys part II.


With November in full swing I needed to discuss with my wife the particulars of when and how we were to dispatch our two young roosters Marvin and Bubba in time for Thanksgiving. I was reluctant, but determined to do the hard thing. Being late season babies, I didn’t want to see them come to their full maturity in the dead of winter and cause REAL trouble at a time when the flock would be much more confined.

She and I chose the day, but with both of hearts against the task, she advised that I make ONE MORE effort with my chicken sources to rehome them. We had decided then that if there could be a home for them where they would live and thrive, that would be the best situation. If the only takers where those inclined to butcher the birds for the meat, in accordance with our beliefs we would politely decline and do the hard task ourselves. We both feel it is only right that the burden of a sentence of death should be carried out by ourselves who are responsible for their lives.

With these thoughts in mind, rather than reaching out to the chicken network exclusively, I put it out on the Facebooks to the general population. My friends, chicken keepers and non chicken keepers alike, shared and tagged people and within an hour I had a weak lead and a strong lead. I asked the weak lead to please stand by. The strong lead turned out to be a friend of a friend only one town over who wanted to see a better photo of the birds. I’m not handy with a camera, so I suggested that she stop by at her leisure and see the birds for herself live and in person.

Grateful to report that she was able to stop by early the next day!

I let the flock out while isolating Marvin and Bubba inside the run so that she could take a close look uninterrupted once she arrived. In the ensuing time, Marvin whined inside the run over not being allowed out and I felt so sad for him, yet I knew that these moments of separation might just lead to a full life for he and his brother.

A woman called Missy arrived in good spirits and she, my wife, and I wandered into the run to have a look. I cornered the birds, and being young and unsure, they were fairly easy to catch. I was able to grasp Bubba and he was quite frightened, but calm none the less. I held the gentle nervous boy and he said nothing. Missy and I talked for some time. She has a sizable flock and land and so does her cousin who would be interested in the other roo. We talked about her situation and experience with roosters. I gave a full account of my observations about their personalities and how I thought they might conduct themselves once fully grown … along with the caveat that with roosters … it’s always a craps shoot.

Bubba wriggled a little now and then as I held him and was clearly nervous, but said not a word. Missy asked if she could hold him and I carefully transferred Bubba to her arms. She held him close and although still nervous, he immediately grew calmer than he had been.

She decided then and there to take both roosters and one would be going home with her for her own flock and the other would be going to her cousin who also had a flock. It is a statistical anomaly to find a home for TWO roosters with full flocks to live and thrive with and I hope my two boys comport themselves respectfully!

Then a positively magical thing happened. One of those things that reaffirms the mysteries of life.

As Missy was holding Bubba, and I collected Marvin, Marvin voiced his fear and displeasure about suddenly being thrust into the scary situation of being handled. Coq Au Vin, off in the yard, abandoned the hens and came running over to find out just what was happening to his boys!

Remember, dear reader, these are the young princelings that were already starting to challenge their father. This was the king who already had to assert his authority more profoundly each day.

This was the king … if you have read my previous posts regarding A Tale of Two Roosters that had once been dethroned and brutally tortured by his own son just two seasons back.

Here he was … like a king … defending his flock. Didn’t matter what they were capable of. Didn’t matter that he already had experience with how wrong this could go. These birds were part of HIS flock and they were alerting him that they were scared and in trouble.

Marvin, once grasped, calmed down and Coq Au kept a close eye on us voicing his contempt as we crept past him to bring the birds to this nice woman’s car.

I was able to maneuver Coq Au into the run as we exited and isolated him. He was not happy. I didn’t blame him!

Missy opened her hatch back, and I placed a bird into one of the boxes she had brought. “what the DUECE???” he exclaimed and a short game of ‘rooster whack-a-mole’ ensued as with each closure of a box flap, a rooster head popped out of another. A little careful handling and some tape that my resourceful wife quickly produced, and the birds were secure.

Missy, my wife, and I chit chatted for a bit longer and she left to bring the boys to their new homes.

Herself and I are ever so grateful that these lives are spared. We met a new friend along the way, and Coq Au was released back into the yard to see to his flock. Even my wife was astonished at his protective nature and we spoke to him and about him with great reverence.

At over three and a half years, we are still surprised by him, though I suppose we shouldn’t be after all.

And wouldn’t you know it? Later on that day Missy (who also keeps a few ducks) sent this photo of Marvin and Bubba already making new friends!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment