Sunday, November 12, 2017

Protective Custody.


Yesterday I went out in the bitter cold that had suddenly descended upon us the day before to do my shopping. The flock had been fed a warm breakfast and were milling about the yard on a sunny, but bitterly cold morning. I mused over letting them out after I came home with the groceries … pretty cold to be wending off to who knows where, but I had decided that the sun was too strong to be missed and if they could find some comfort and late autumn forage then so be it! For too long will they be confined in the run, or even the coop on some days during the season of ice, so I wanted them to be out as much as possible!

After stowing my possibles, I strode out to their enclosure intent on letting them free and they gathered by the door in ready anticipation. I knew that once I opened that door they would come spilling out a la three (nine) stooges style.

As my hand fell to the door latch, Coq Au let out a mighty growl (mighty by chicken standards, anyway). My hand hesitated and sure enough … unbeknownst to me, a large bird of prey who had been perched nearby took wing and flew off at a height of about six or eight feet and not ten yards to my left! Sure, he was retreating, but with the leaves all but gone for the hens’ tree cover and the birds of prey having grown hungry, my second mind decided that the flock should stay safely in their run!

Extra rations of treats were distributed and full military honors bestowed upon my cantankerous rooster and I went about the business of refreshing their feed and water.

The thought struck me. That raptor probably knew that the chicken run was very secure. Was he waiting in hiding for me to let the flock out? Maybe. But Mrs. Rabbit!

Gratefully, I did not see any pieces of rabbit, nor was that bird carrying anything off … potential meal thwarted! But neither did I see the rabbit!

Thankfully, as I was about my tasks, she did make an appearance in the underbrush about a half an hour later.

“Go on, you!” I shouted. “Get ye back in that brush!”

I didn’t want to seem cross, but I wanted her to retreat to safety in case the marauder was still lurking about. Sure, hawks, falcons, buzzards, and vultures need to eat too, but NOT my chickens and I’d rather they left the rabbit alone as well! Thus far she has avoided the neighbor cat who seems a half-hearted hunter at best, hopefully she could stay vigilant against the sky as well.

My mind fell back to Coq Au once again. Had he not alerted me, I might’ve missed that raptor and one of those hens might have been an easier target that a wily wild rabbit.

Damn, but he’s good at his job!

2 comments:

  1. I have a coopers hawk who keeps coming into my yard. My roo has saved his girls and babies many times. The s.o.b. almost flew into me last time as he swooped in for a hen. Then he always lands on the fence and looks at me like ' just wait lady , I'll be back ' before he flies off.wish I could s.s.s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had one swoop on my girls once, rooster LEAPT up to get him! Never the less, I don't take the chance if I know their around!

      Delete