Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Back In The Coop!

The daylight is just getting to the point where sky is still rosy as I make my trek home from work.

By the time I get home, the flock has still gone inside ... but only just.

In the brilliant afternoon daylight of the summer season, as they mill about the run, they'll all line up at the fence line when they hear my car pull in. I like to think that they're excited to see me, but I know they're excited to see if I have treats.

Well, having just gone to bed, I crept out of my car and went to the run to close the peep door against the cold air of a winter's night, but the flock had only just gone in and hadn't yet settled. Hortense, or perhaps it was Lily, heard my approach and stuck her wee head out in the failing light.

Get inside! I said. Which had the opposite of the desired effect, and out she came to greet me. Three or four more emerged into the near darkness.

It caused me to sing an altered line from a song by that rock and roll group Metallica
"You will do what I say, when I say BACK IN THE COOP!"

They didn't listen to me a whit. I had to go into the house, collect up some treats, and encourage them back to bed. Finally, with the door closed I collected the eggs.

Egg report: seven again. Another triumph!

Well ... another week or two and I'll get to see my flock properly of an evening when I get home without rushing them back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment