Sunday, January 14, 2018

Back to Work?


I reported on Thursday that the flock gave us seven eggs. Friday brought four, and yesterday another six.

This morning Hortense was on her own as usual and I cornered her briefly.

"Hortense, not that I'm ungrateful for the eggs, but what's the deal?" I queried.

"I'm not supposed to say. Union rules." She shyly stated.

"Don't give me that 'union rules' BS. Spill it."

"Well ... its orders from above. Back to work. As best as we're able. But don't tell the other girls that I said anything."

"You got it. But orders from whom? From the Union Liaison? Coq Au? The gods know I've been begging you for months!"

"No dude. The sun! Orders are ... more daylight, more laying. Time to kick it into gear.

Well ... so that's it. They closed shop early this fall, but opened up again early this year!

UNLIKE Porky Pig's proverbial Flocked, I didn't even have to bring in a rooster that croons like Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby. (That's a reference for us old folks).
 


No comments:

Post a Comment