Thursday, January 4, 2018

DO something Monkey-person!

So for the last few days all the talk was about the winter weather we were to get today. Often, the news will ratchet up the totals and make everyone nervous about the snow-pocalypse that will descend upon the land.

Here in New Jersey we don't usually get THAT much snow, and when we do it usually is all at once. In March. And then it is gone again in a few days when spring breaks.

Today we were expecting snow and the news was calling it "Snow bomb cyclone" or some such. It was to the point where you'd have thought a foreign country had devised a blizzard device just to vex the United States. So ... I mostly ignored it. What's more, the news is talking about the polar vortex that is to follow for the next few days binging the low temps down to under zero degrees (Fahrenheit). That is very unusual for NJ, but certainly not unheard of.

With all of this in mind, I decided that the flock was NOT to be let out of the coop at all and I doubt I will risk letting them out for the next few days with the temperatures so persistently and dangerously frigid. That means that they will be cooped up for at least three days straight and I don't remember ever having them confined for that long without access to their run.

No matter, they have plenty of water, plenty of feed, and a heat lamp to take the edge off of the cold.

This morning I gave them hot breakfast and kept them closed in. Then ... like a dumbass ... I went to work ahead of the snow. Poor wisdom had me on the roads and at work by 7:00am before the storm hit. Better judgment had me digging out my car at 2:00pm to come home again before darkness fell. The roads were pretty bad and it was a white knuckle trip, but I made it home; even in my junky little Toyota.

Before un-suiting coat, hat, gloves, boots et. al. I took the time to shovel the front and the plow mound in the driveway before the sub zero temps were to roll in and freeze it all solid.

Coq Au ... who hates all things non-chicken ... spied me working through the coop window and took that opportunity to issue his complaints about the weather and the confinement.

"Hey! HEY! HEEEEEYYYYY! You! Monkey-person! I know this weather is YOUR FAULT! You get this white stuff gone, warm the outside up, and let us out! What's more, you do it NOW!"

Coq Au is confused about the power structure of a lot of things. He's confused in thinking that *I* have any control over the weather. He is further confused that *HE* has any control over me.

But his pleas (or rather demands) did induce herself and I to fix up a nice plate of hot oatmeal with beans and sardines for he and the girls.

Trudging through the snow, I delivered the hot fare and as the girls ate he continued to complain.

"This is okay, but not what I demanded!"

Well, he's just going to have to calm down and even though they must all be getting on each others' nerves while being confined, they will just have to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment