Sunday, July 15, 2018

Trying to do a Hard Job.

Flock was out enjoying the summer sun yesterday.

But after just a couple of hours, I peered out to see Coq Au by the neighbors bush. He was chattering away and I figured I needed to go chase the flock out from under the bush. I put together some treats and put them in the run to coax them back in. Inside the coop was a broody hen, so that's one down!

Rake in hand I marched over to the bush to flush out the girls.

"Coq Au, what the hell is going on over here?"

"You tell me! I've been trying to get them out from under there for a good fifteen minutes!"

Okay, clearly he, himself was not under the bush and gently scolding the girls within.

I chased out three girls and herded them and Coq Au back to the run. With the girls in the coop, that's five down, I closed the run's door to keep them contained while I went off on the hunt.

Naturally, three of them were squeezed deep into that old planting box on the front porch as pretty as you please having their early afternoon dirt bath, and the last girl was milling about nearby.

Coq Au, isolated from them behind the run's fencing was LOSING HIS MIND that he couldn't get out to come and collect them himself.

I physically pulled the girls out of the dirt, since they were utterly disinclined to arise by themselves from their repose, and set them on course for home. As we got closer, I jumped ahead and allowed Coq Au out. He immediately had a lot to say to them. They paid him about the same amount of attention as they did to me as they dashed in to get some treats of their own.

Bless his heart, he was trying to do his job, I was trying to do mine, and for once we were on the 'same side' of things (more or less).

No comments:

Post a Comment