Sunday, February 4, 2018

Chickens Are Still Chickens.

Over the course of this year I have written about the joys and sorrows of keeping a small backyard flock. Additionally you've heard a word or two about our pig and our cats.

There is a downside to keeping livestock.
When the sun is shining and the weather is nice, they are chickens.
When the winter is harsh and the temperatures are low, they are chickens.
When the rains come and run is mired, they are chickens.
When you delight at fresh eggs over a morning breakfast, they are chickens.

And ... when you're sick with the flu, they are chickens.

Both herself and I are down with disease. Last night, when it became time to trek out into the bitter blackness to shut them up for the night, we fought. She insisted on going and I said that it was my job. She won out for two reasons. One: she is the boss. Two: I was running a fever and she was not.

This morning, with my fever down and herself feeling more poorly than yesterday, I trekked out to give them warm breakfast and let them out.

A little later, strength permitting, I will have to trek out to refresh their feed and water.

On any given day, I relish these tasks and delight at the doings on the flock. Today, I am dreading the task as I am feeling very under the weather.

But chickens are chickens, and like all of the lives in your care, you have to suck it up and get it done!

I'll be okay, and I know they'll be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment