Sunday, February 18, 2018

There Oughtta Be A Law

I've just discovered that my town council has been discussing legislating backyard chickens.

Apparently, since 2013 there has been a sharp increase of people seeking the zoning board's (or some other town government entity's) permission to keep chickens. All of which have been denied.

There seems to be a split of opinion on the town council. Since there are no stated regulations, one town council person suggests that if the la doesn't say you can, then it means you can't. Another council person gently suggests that if the law doesn't say that you can't, then you can.

So, they are discussing the particulars of how many chickens on what size lots, coop placement, waste management, etc.

Since the fall, the matter has been tabled, and as far as I am concerned, I hope it stays tabled! If the current opinion is that backyard chickens are prohibited, then it is obviously (and gratefully) not enforced, as several people in my neighborhood have chickens.

I would be utterly heartbroken if any government agent arrived at my door step to inform me that my flock had to go.

I'll be keeping my eye on this one, and if need be, seeking to deliver my opinions directly to the town council ... but I utterly dread the whole affair.

In my humble opinion .... government bodies are a lot like nuclear weapons. Everyone has them, but once you use them, everything gets all fucked up.

For now, I am not telling the flock. It would only upset them. Coq Au believes that he is the ultimate authority of our small hen house. He is wrong. I've trying to tell him that I am the ultimate authority of our little hen house. Apparently I am wrong too.

No comments:

Post a Comment