Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Too Early.

It's too early, but here we are.

I *tend* to post on Thursdays and Sundays. But I'm too early.

I went to collect the eggs in the failing light. When I opened the nesting boxes there was a VERY flat hen sitting on the eggs with that thousand yard stare.

It's too early.

I know that if she sits on the eggs in late February that the babies would probably be okay, but herself and I have decided that there are to be no new babies this year.

We have enough room for a couple of new chicks, but the thought of culling roosters is just too much this year. Our hens are getting older and we could use some new blood, but we might get some from outside. Perhaps some nice orpingtons.

"Oh HELL naw!" I said to the hen (too dim for me to tell just who is was, but I suspect it was Hermione).

*grumble grumble* "Hurumph!" she said.

"Alright, let me 'help' you!" I exclaimed as I stuck a hand under her rump and not-so-gently assisted her off of the nest.

"What the deuce!" She cried as she sat there like dead weight.

A little nudging and just a little shoving and she was 'encouraged' to quit her task.

"I really am sorry, hunny, but none of that this year. And besides ...

It's too early!"

No comments:

Post a Comment