Thursday, March 15, 2018

Spoiling for a Fight

When I go in to tend to the flock's needs, I can see Coq Au Vin posturing and strutting. The tell tale signs that he is looking for a good dust up.

I feel like that he is keeping himself at bay while the weather is still keeping them confined to the run, but I know that once I let them free, he may well unleash a fury upon me that equals the length of the long confinement. No matter. I am ready. So glad to let them into the yard once again that I will gladly suffer the slings and arrows that he may be content to hurl my way.

Here's to you, Coq Au! You're a scrapper for sure!

In other news, momma hen is still trying to sit. If you've been paying attention then you might realize that had I allowed her to sit from the beginning, the baby would be born sometime about now ... sandwiched between the last nor'easter and the next one due on Wednesday! Even if we were inclined to allow hatchlings this year, it would be too early! The March winds are still high, the cold nights are still in the 20's, and I would worry too much over fuzzy babies with no feathers to keep warm with!

So, the Ides of March have come and are nearly gone.

Winter seems determined to stay around for as long as it is able. But even if the temps are cold, the winds do blow, and the sky continues to dump more weather upon us, the old snow that lies about the ground is all but gone, and only exists in the great piles of the road-a-wayish now blacked with salt and soot and shrinking by the day.

O come ye spring! O come ye warmth! O come ye angry rooster!

No comments:

Post a Comment