Thursday, March 29, 2018

Topsy Turvy

Well, my 'mother to be' hen has finally given up on hatching (thankfully).

Honestly, what goes through her mind, I wonder! Dead of winter? Time to hatch some eggs! Spring is here? Time to quit! No matter, we weren't wanting hatchlings this year and I was getting worried about all the time she was spending on the nest. At least she can now get back to regular food and exercise!

Apparently, my chickens are this antsy for the spring every year and I just don't always notice. Here is a Facebook post of mine from exactly two years ago (nearly a year before I started this blog and was still annoying my friends with endless chicken stories on my social media) ...

"Another minor chicken revolt. I let them out for a good hour this morning, then ... this afternoon I took out some more veggies for them and one slipped past the gate while I was putting their food down. The others started complaining 'how come SHE gets to go out! What makes HER so special!'
So, I had to let them out again while me and their union rep discussed the mealworms to cracked corn ratio in their treats. Strike avoided.
Later, I brought their concerns to the CEO (my wife, the Chaotic Evil Overlord of our household) and she said she was unwilling to listen to their demands until one or more of them agree to come into the kitchen to help out with the ant problem."

No comments:

Post a Comment